The English Grammar and Writing class is designed to help students become skilled readers and writers through engagement with the following course requirements:
- – Composing in several forms (e.g., narrative, expository, analytical, and argumentative essays) about a variety of subjects.
- – Writing that proceeds through several stages or drafts, with revision aided by teacher and peers.
- – Writing informally (e.g., imitation exercises, journal keeping, collaborative writing), which helps students become aware of themselves as writers and the techniques employed by other writers.
- – Writing expository, analytical, and argumentative compositions based on readings representing a variety of prose styles and genres.
- – Reading nonfiction (e.g., essays, journalism, science writing, autobiographies, criticism) selected to give students opportunities to identify and explain an author’s use of rhetorical strategies and techniques.
- – Analyzing graphics and visual images both in relation to written texts and as alternative forms of text themselves.
- – Developing research skills and the ability to evaluate, use, and cite primary and secondary sources.
- – Conducting research and writing argument papers in which students present an argument of their own that includes the analysis and synthesis of ideas from an array of sources.
- – Citing sources using a recognized editorial style (e.g., Modern Language Association, The Chicago Manual of Style.)
- – Revising their work to develop a wide-ranging vocabulary used appropriately and effectively; a variety of sentence structures, including appropriate use of subordination and coordination; logical organization, enhanced by techniques such as repetition, transitions, and emphasis; a balance of generalization and specific, illustrative detail; and an effective use of rhetoric, including tone, voice, diction, and sentence structure.
Sign up now to give your child the best lessons in grammar there is. Watch you child blossom in to a very confident youth fluent and expressive in English.
** Your payment will be processed through stripe, a secure online payment processing service.
You’re 100% safe & protected. Your information is secured using the world’s best technology.